Every two years (last edition from August 28th until September 9th, 2016), the children’s rights module in the Advanced Summer School “Human Rights for Development (HR4DEV)” maps the possibilities and limitations of children’s rights in a globalised world. The course looks at the contextualisation of children’s rights, the added value and nature of a child-rights-based approach to (sustainable) development, critical approaches to children’s rights in theory and practice, as well as ways to deal with global children’s rights themes such as poverty, armed conflict, migration and education.
More information can be found at www.hr4dev.be.
Having hosted 40 participants in 2008, 42 in 2010, 48 in 2012, 64 in 2014 and 31 in 2016, the course by now connects a world-wide network of 225 highly qualified children’s rights professionals in 74 countries. However, what happens to this invaluable resource of shared knowledge and expertise after the two intensive weeks in Belgium are over? We asked the participants how they integrated what they learned during the course in their ongoing professional activities. The answer of 26 alumni can be found here.
Did you participate in any of the course’s editions and would you like to share your story? You can download the questionnaire here and send it to email@example.com! Alternatively, you may just email us, or join us in the LinkedIn Alumni Group.
These reports summarise the output of the international courses since 2010.
- Calleeuw, H. & Lembrechts, S. (2017). Critical Interdisciplinary Course on Children's Rights with a focus on children's rights between the global and the local, 28 August - 9 September 2016, Ghent (Belgium). Summary report, Ghent: Children's Rights Knowledge Centre. (Report CICCR 2016)
- Lembrechts, S. & Fröhlich, F. (2016). Advanced Summer Course on Human Rights, Development and Transitional Justice, 16 August - 11 September 2015, Leuven (Belgium). Summary report, Ghent: Children's Rights Knowledge Centre. (Report HR4DEV 2015)
- Lembrechts, S., Van Camp, K. & Vlieghe, K. (eds). (2015) Human Rights for Development. An international training programme on human rights in development with a focus on children's rights, 27 July - 22 August 2014, Ghent (Belgium). Summary report, Ghent: Children's Rights Knowledge Centre. (Report HR4DEV 2014)
- Desmet, E., Duff, B., Lembrechts, S., Reynaert, D., Vandenhole, W. & Vlieghe, K. (2013) Human Rights for Development. An international training programme on human rights in development with a focus on children's rights, 30 July - 24 August 2012. Antwerp (Belgium). Summary report, Ghent: Children's Rights Knowledge Centre. (Report HR4DEV 2012)
- Vandenhole, W., Reynaert, D., Lembrechts, S., Desmet, E., Vlieghe, K. (eds.) (2011). International Interdisciplinary Course “Children’s Rights in a Globalized World: From Principles to Practice”, 5 to 17 September 2010, Ghent-Antwerp (Belgium). Summary report. Ghent: Children's Rights Knowledge Centre. (Report IICCR 2010)